7 Signs Your Electrical Wiring May Be Out of Date

Maintaining the electrical wiring in your home is critically important because old wiring can lead to fires, power outages, and much more. While it is possible to preserve the state of your electrical wiring by yourself, many issues can arise and some of them may need professional help from a reliable electrician. Read on for more information about what to look for when checking for outdated wiring.

Signs of Outdated Wiring

Outdated wiring could be a safety hazard and lead to a number of electrical problems in your home. If you see any of the following signs, contact an electrician at Wolverine Electrical Contracting today and we can help you address the issue and prevent a dangerous situation before it starts.

Loose Wires

Wires hanging from any of your outlets indicate that your home’s wiring may be outdated. Tighten or replace loose wires to avoid serious issues with your home’s electrical system. If you see a loose wire somewhere, before you touch it, make sure the power is off.  You can tighten the screws securing the wires, but if that doesn’t work, you may need to contact an electrician.

Torn or Cut Wires

If any of your wires are damaged or torn, it could indicate your wiring is old or hasn’t been maintained properly. Contacting an electrician is your best bet to fix this problem. If you don’t have any electrical knowledge, trying to fix or repair cut or torn wire can be dangerous.

Dimming or Flickering Lights

Frequent flickering or dimming lights may also be caused by outdated electrical wiring. Check the connections for the lights to ensure the wiring is secure. If you can simply tighten the connection and fix the issue, it’s an easy solution. If that doesn’t work, the problem might be more complicated.

Fluctuating Power

Fluctuating power is a common sign of outdated wiring in your home. It can also indicate a load problem with your electrical system. Contact your electrical company first to ensure it’s not a problem on their side. If it’s not, this is likely a problem that an electrician needs to help resolve.

Electrical Odors in the Home

Electrical odors can be a sign that your home’s wiring is outdated or that your electrical system has potential safety hazards. This issue could result from faulty sockets, switchboards, or other electrical system components. You may want to unplug anything coming from a socket or appliance with an odor. But beyond that, you should contact a reputable electrician to ensure you have no safety hazards in your home.

Electric Shocks From Switches

Electric shocks from switches can be scary and often are the cause of loose wires or poor connections. Contacting an electrician to address the issue will help you avoid future shocks, fires, and any other possible hazards.

Burning Smells

One of the more serious signs of outdated wiring is a burning smell. This could be a sign of an electrical fire, which can end up having deadly consequences. If you smell something burning, immediately contact your local fire department and let them know the location of the fire and describe the situation.

Schedule a Consultation

Maintaining the state of your electrical wiring is the best way of keeping you and your home safe. Wolverine Electrical Contracting has a staff of trained electricians to help you address any problems with your home’s electrical services. Contact us today at our website or call us at our Niles or Grand Rapids locations.

Have it done right the first time.

Contact us today for an estimate.